Wearing makeup in the summer heat makes one feel like your face is melting off the minute you walk out the door. Luckily, the natural look was paraded down Spring/Summer 2010 runways by the likes of 3.1 Phillip Lim and Chloé. As much as we would like our faces to bare all, some of us can’t escape a day without a hint of something to help our complexions. Here are some of FrontRowMag’s favourite summer makeup picks.
1. A good base is the best way to stop makeup from sliding off in the heat. NARS Pro-Prime Skin Smoothing Face Prep ($36, narscosmetics.com) is dermatologist and ophthalmologist tested, and lays the groundwork for a flawless matte finish with anti-caking agents that create a temporary barrier between your skin and your makeup. To prevent your eye makeup from smudging, use a lightweight primer targeted for the eyes before applying liner or shadow.
2. NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base ($29, narscosmetics.com) is fortified with special deep-sea and antioxident rice extracts to take care of the delicate eye area.
3. No one wants to layer on concealers, foundation and powders during the summer, so try an all-in-one product like Stila One Step Makeup Foundation ($57/30ml, available at Sephora and Murale. Coming in seven shades, the formula is made of 100 percent natural pigments, is paraben-free and has buildable coverage for troublesome spots.
4. For full-out bronzey tint use Stila One Step Primecolor ($29, available at Sephora and Murale) on eyes, lips and cheeks. Available in six colours (we’re fans of Capri Coral), the water-resistant formula multi-tasks by hydrating and balancing the skin to reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
5. A soft pink lip with a touch of pearl works well with almost every skin tone. Try MAC Alice+Olivia Dazzleglass Creme in Sparklicious ($21.50, maccosmetics.com).
6. NARS Cream Blush in Enchanted ($34, narscosmetics.com) is a vitamin rich cream blush that provides a soft-peach shimmer for a flushed and healthy look to the cheeks.
7. + 8. If you’d prefer to punch up a nude face with bold lips, go for an orange red shade as seen at Prada. Slick on a nourishing and long-lasting lipstick from NARS in Love Devotion ($30, narscosmetics.com) or use MAC Alice +Olivia Dazzleglass Creme in I.Want.Candy, a sparkling yellow gloss, ($21.50, maccosmetics.com) over an existing true-red lipstick to transform it into an electrifying orange red with added shine.
9. As for nails, go for a new metallic neutral with NARS nail polish in Versailles, a shimmery champagne-gold ($21, narscosmetics.com).
10. If you prefer darker talons, use MAC Alice +Olivia Nail Lacquer in So Rich So Pretty, a rich, deep frosted purple ($14.50, maccosmetics.com).
11. Although nude faces dominated the runways, some collections, like Dior, sent their models down highlighting eyes with a brighter shade of periwinkle, peach and aqua. For a night out, copy this electrifying look by brushing on MAC Alice +Olivia Pigment in Partylicious, an electric turquoise hue, ($23.50, maccosmetics.com) over the lid and highlighting the inner corners of your eyes with MAC Alice +Olivia Pigment in If It Sparkles, a frosty white with a hint of pink ($23.50, maccosmetics.com).
12. From a spin-off of Stila’s ever popular Smudge Pots comes Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eyeliner ($26, available at Sephora and Murale). The innovate formula allows you to smudge the colour into a shadow, but once set, the fade-proof pigment won’t budge even when poolside. Available in eight shades, we’re partial to Blue Ribbon (a navy shimmer), Moray (an olive shimmer) and Stingray (a classic intense black).
13. Vasanti eyeshadow in Casablanca ($15, vasanticosmetics.com) is ideal shimmery champagne shade to naturally highlight your eyes whether they are a bright blue or deep brown.
14. Sweep Vasanti’s Casablanca ‘The Bronze Age’ Shimmer Powder ($14, vasanticosmetics.com) over eyes or cheeks for a sun-free glow.